QUICK, EASY, WATER-BASED, ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY COMPATIBLE WITH ALL WOOD STAINS & FINISHES
AUTHENTIC WOOD PATINA'S*.
INSTANT AGE y HONEY BROWN
PALE AMBER Nls GOLDEN
DEEP BROWN AGED CHERRY
FUMED OAK NUT BROWN
WHITEWASH BLACK WASH
For information and distributors, call toll free: 1-866-301-WOOD (9663) or
Question & Answer
Why did my dovetail bit break?
Duane Tougas Cartersville, GA
A. A dovetail bit does indeed have fragile tips. A full cut in hard maple puts a lot of stress on them. Usually you can deepen a router cut with successive passes of the same bit, but the shape of a sliding dovetail doesn't allow that.
You can relieve most of the stress on the bit's tips by removing wood from the groove with a straight bit first. Pick a bit that's slightly smaller than the narrowest part of the dovetail groove. Then rout a groove that's 1/32-in. or so shallower than the final groove. Now your dovetail bit has very little work to do in finishing up the groove, and both you and your bit will experience less stress! fN ^ Give your dovetail bit a rest. Pre-plow a straight groove to remove most of the wood.
If you have a question you'd like answered, send it to us at: Question & Answer, American Woodworker, 2915 Commers Drive, Suite 700, Eagan, MN 55121. Sorry, but the volume of mail prevents us from answering each question individually.
second cut first cut
second cut first cut
Quality... More Affordable Than You Think !
TSC-10CL 10" Left-tilting Contractors' Table Saw...
Features miter gauge with T-siot groove, one solid cast iron extension wing, on/ofi switch, quick release plug connection on motor, 4" dust collection hookup. • Blade size: 10" max. dia. • Arbor: 5/8" (0-45°)
• 3-knife cutterhead • Jackscrew knife adjustment
• New tence tilts both ways, quick and easy adjustment. 3 positive stops • Enclosed stand ■ 1 HP motor
• Rabbeting table and ledge ■ Surface ground tables
Ask about easy Bridgewoodlworker LEASE PLANS
don't let its low price foot you, this amazing bandsaw is designed and built to provide trouble free operation cut after cut.
• Heavily ribbed, cast iron c-frame
• Cast aluminum wheels with rubber tires
• Non-rocking steel floor stand
• Motor mounted directly to cast Iron frame for smooth operation
• Two blade speeds: 2000 or 2600 SFM
economically priced yet built like big protessionai planers, it offers absolutely vibration free finishes
• 3 HP motor • Extended stock support rollers
• 3 v-belt drive from motor to cutterhead
• Table moves up and down - cutterhead stationary for smoother cuts • 3 spring chip breaker
• Sturdy 4 leg non-rocking stand
• Antl-klckback fingers across entire width
• Heavy cast iron construction
• Magnetic switch • Jackscrew knife adjustment
BW-002A Dust Collector...
portable, compact unit can solve your dust collection problems at a very low cost
• 1 Micron, 16.2 sq. ft. filter bag • Two 4" dia. hose Inlets • 1059 CFM
• 43.5 gal. see-through collection bag attached with quick release metal straps
• 2 HP single-phase motor • Metal impeller (not plastic)
For Information and a FREE catalog contact us by toll free phone:
Was this article helpful?
There are a lot of things that either needs to be repaired, or put together when youre a homeowner. If youre a new homeowner, and have just gotten out of apartment style living, you might want to take this list with you to the hardware store. From remolding jobs to putting together furniture you can use these 5 power tools to get your stuff together. Dont forget too that youll need a few extra tools for other jobs around the house.