- Indexing pin —L Holes plunge-bored in template
1. Make the fence blank. Cut two strips of 1 ¿ inch plywood to the dimensions specified by the Cutting List. Glue them face to lace to form the 1-inch-thick blank for the fence.
2. Cut the adjustment slots. The fence has three 2-inch slots routed in it. so it can be moved up to 2 inches. Thus, the holes in a shelf side can be positioned anywhere between I and 3 inches from the side's edge.
Probably the best way to rout the holes is with a handheld plunge router, guided along a fence clamped across the workpiece. It's a good idea to clamp scraps along each side of the workpiece to provide more bearing lor the router. And remember to slide scrap underneath the work-piece so you won't rout into the bench top.
Take the slot locations from the Template Fence Detail drawing, and transfer them to the workpiece. Then set up and rout the slots.
3. Attach the toggle clamps. I used De-Sta-Co clamps, though other bnuids, including Taiwanese knock-offs, are sold by a number of mail-order vcndors.The model I chose has aT-handle and a long I' bar for the spindle.Thc I i-bar configuration allows you to vary the spindle position. The reach of thcTC-207 series provides good flexibility in clamping. In a fairly typical setup, the spindle pressure is applied on the far side of die template holes, although that
TEMPLATE FENCE DETAIL
TEMPLATE FENCE DETAIL
With the workpiece overhanging the workbench edge, position the template on it. The template's fence and an indexing bolt dropped through the end hole position the template on the work. Snap the clamps closed to secure the template.
wouldn't necessarily he the case in even' situation. For example, with the fence set as far from the template holes as it'll go, the spindles will be almost directly on a template hole. Watch out for that! You'll damage both the spindle and the bit if thev collide.
This particular De-Sta-Co comes without a spindlc.The spindle I selected is specified by the Cutting list.
The positions for the clamps are delineated on the Bottom View drawing. Mount each with four panhcad screws.
4. Assemble the template. Clamp the fence to the template, and transfer the slot locations to the template. Mark where you'll bore pilot holes for the threaded inserts, then bore these holes. Install the inserts.
Fasten the fence to the template with the studded knobs The template is completed.
Was this article helpful?
There are a lot of things that either needs to be repaired, or put together when youre a homeowner. If youre a new homeowner, and have just gotten out of apartment style living, you might want to take this list with you to the hardware store. From remolding jobs to putting together furniture you can use these 5 power tools to get your stuff together. Dont forget too that youll need a few extra tools for other jobs around the house.