Installing Hardware and Finishing
1. Drill holes for the drawer and doorknobs (Fig. F, page 60).
2. Drill holes for the shelf pins.
3. Install magnetic catches for the doors.
4. Remove the top, back and doors to make finishing easier.
5. Dye the maple feet (see Sources, page 67).
6. Walnut looks great under almost any kind of finish. We used Minwax Antique Oil to bring out the handsome figure.
7. Bright white ceramic knobs are a striking contrast to the cupboards dark walnut (see Sources, page 67). (The original Amish cupboard that inspired ours has ceramic knobs, as well.) Install the knobs.
8. Start making jelly! AV
Van Dyke's Restorers (800) 558-1234. www.vandykes.com Maple bun legs. #CG-02003062; $11.69 each Oak dowel rod. I -in. dia.. 36-in. long. AG-02252630; $3.29
(800) 383-0130. www.wwhardware.com
Continuous hinge, brass, l-l/2-in. wide.48-in.
Magnetic catch. A09793 PT;$I each.
(800) 531 -5559. www.|esada.com I-in. planer bit. «652-502; $20 5/8-in. roundovcr bit. «638-945: $40.
Medium walnut water-soluble dye. # 123823; $8
(800) 871-8158. www.leevalley.com Ceramic knobs. I -1 /24n. da.. #01W0403; $1.10 each. I -in. dia.. #00w7002; $ .97 each.
Hang the door with a continuous hinge. Unusual? Sure, but its slick. It's easy to install, with no fussy mortises, just a simple rabbet; plus it's durable and rigid, which helps keep the door flat
I was a cheapskate, and regretted it. The first time I made the doors for this cabinet I used up the tail end of my walnut pile. The mismatched figure looked nasty! I had to buy a whole new bunch of lumber and build a new pair of doors. Lesson learned: Don't skimp when you buy lumber.
American Woodworker ocToetRiOOl
Was this article helpful?
Have you ever wanted to begin woodworking at home? Woodworking can be a fun, yet dangerous experience if not performed properly. In The Art of Woodworking Beginners Guide, we will show you how to choose everything from saws to hand tools and how to use them properly to avoid ending up in the ER.